StatCounter

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kayaking - Red River, Father's Day

Red River  6/16/13                              Miles Traveled 8 miles, Total 85.7
Adams to Port Royal, 1:50-4:15
Scotty, Julie, Amanda, Ethan


It was a great Father's Day, minus Richie who had to work :(  This is a very wide river and has a good flow.  We saw lots of people out on this river, maybe because it was Father's Day or maybe it's just a busier river.  There was a tree down soon after we got onto the river.  Scotty and Ethan cut off many of the big branches.  I broke off some branches by hand.  We managed to clear a path to the left of the river making it easier for others to get through.  While we were working on it, a husband and wife came through and seemed appreciative of our work.  I saw lots and lots of turtles on this paddle.  But, as hard as I tried to get a picture of a turtle, I never succeeded.  We saw the cave that the Davis family told us about.  But, they had just been in it yesterday and saw two large raccoons at the very end of it.  That and the fact that you have to belly crawl into this cave was not at all enticing to me.  Ethan and I merely looked into the entrance.
On this trip, Dick was kind enough to let us borrow his 2 kayaks.  He has a 10 foot Pyranha that treks really well down the river.  I learned how important the skeg was when Ethan quietly pulled it up on me at one point.  My boat started to go in circles!  The one, huge drawback to this boat is that it has a very narrow opening and I found it very hard to get in and out.  I'm reassured that my kayak is the perfect boat for me!











My times with Amanda are fleeting and so I love my times with
her and I love photos like this!













No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-69773586-1