StatCounter

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Assistant Lighthouse Keepers 8/3- Thacher Island Views

Thacher Island Views

We left the island on the morning of Saturday, August 3.  It was a sad day as we had grown to love this wild and isolated island.  So my last post for the week will include some of the abundant and spectacular views.

Taking a stroll.
Nice day for a walk.


This view is from the south tower facing west, where you can see
the lighthouse keepers' homes and the city of Rockport.

This view is from the south tower facing north.


This view is from the south tower facing south.

One day when I was out walking, I saw this kayaker in this cove.  The cove
is not far from the house, south of the south tower.  Later in the week,
we figured out a way to get down in the cove, not an easy task
as you have to maneuver over rocks and through poison ivy!

Birds, bird poop and rocks - lots of this on the island.



There are some eclectic and quirky views on the island, such as this bus stop bench!


This is NOT a favorite view.
This is poison ivy and it looks different than the poison ivy that I know.
It grows like a bush and of course, I ended up leaving with a rash.
Next year, I'll definitely wear long pants, long sleeves and gloves when I'm out trimming the trails.


There are walking paths all around the island and across.  This is a view
facing the mainland and you can see the city of Rockport.




One day a sudden rain came up.  It was funny because we all had to run back to the house
and we all ended up getting wet.  Scotty was soaked as he was farther out on a trail weed-eating.


I saw these boats off the eastern side of the island and ran to get a photo.  There were several other sailboats.

Seeing the sunset through one of the western lighthouse windows.

Very weird walking in this water.


We're happy when we're exploring.

Uhoh!  It was deeper than I thought!



Nature, in all of it's glory!
Stand in the mystery water and smile!

This is the pavilion at the campground.  There are picnic tables here, some chairs, horseshoes and the privy.
I think we had 2 parties that camped here during our week.

This is the helicopter landing pad.
I'm not sure when (or if) has been used.


Let me find the bus schedule for my return trip!


No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-69773586-1