StatCounter

Monday, May 3, 2021

Hiking - Natural Bridge, Virginia

 Hiking - Natural Bridge, Virginia (2 mile walk)

Today I headed back to Tennessee.  I had a late start as I left Cabin John to go to Largo, Maryland to pick up Joe's birth certificate.  The agency couldn't find it, but that's another story!! Anyway, I finally got back west through the DC traffic and headed south on 81.  I knew it was going to rain later in the day so I stopped mid afternoon to hike at Natural Bridge, Virginia.  I always notice the signs for this state park and had already previewed it, and knew it would be a nice break in my drive.

There is a visitor's center and you start the trail through a door from the visitor's center.  The trail goes down some steps and it really isn't long until you come to the 'natural bridge'.  It's gorgeous and neat to think that Route 11 travels over this bridge and is still in use today.  There were several people out enjoying this walk.  There are 2 other trails at this state park, but I only did this one today.

The arch is solid grey limestone, 215 feet high, 40 feet thick, 100 feet wide and spans 90 feet between the massive walls.  Before white men came to America, the Monacan Indians considered this ancient wonder a sacred site, and called it "The Bridge of God".  

At the visitor's center.












This is the Monacan Living History Exhibit, circa 1699.
Over 20 hours of research and thousands of hours went into building this exhibit.
The short wall in front is a representation of a palisade (defensive perimeter) constructed
from hard wood posts and waddled with saplings.  These fences were often 7 feet tall, designed to keep out wild animals and territorial infringements.
















No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-69773586-1