StatCounter

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Kayaking - Juniper Springs Run

 7 miles, 3.4 avg speed, 6.4 max speed, 2:37 elapsed time 



Today we dropped BenjiBear off Brighton early at Bow Wow pet spa, then headed over to Jennifer Springs. The parking lot was empty and there was nobody around. Scotty took the truck and his bike to the end of the paddle while I walked around the area. He got back and we started off on our paddle.  When I’m away from Juniper Springs I think of it is a nice windy little run. It’s when I’m there I quickly remember that it is definitely whiny and quite tricky in some places. Our 12 foot boat is sometimes a challenge getting around the turns. At one point, I knocked my knee into a palm tree frond, Ow! The first half of this route always reminds me of an amusement park ride. It’s so pristine, so pretty and has such clear water that it almost doesn’t seem real. We passed a few alligators, but one exciting moment was when we followed an alligator swimming down the Ron and then he decided to swim across the Ron directly under my boat. With such crystal clear water, I could see him in the water as it was only about 4 feet deep. We saw many more turtles and they look so pretty with their bright, orange under bellies contrasted against the greenery. Soon after mile marker five is a very short section of Rapids that is always fun. The second half of this run opens up and we’re surrounded by more scrubby pines and  and some grasses.  Sure enough we heard that telltale sign at the end was almost here when we heard the traffic going over the bridge. After nine years of kayaking, we had a first today. Scotty lifted his hatch and found a tiny snake under the rim one snake every nine years should be OK.  Our day only got better when we went to Linas and had a seafood lunch. And then to top it off, when we went to get BenjiBear, he apparently had a great time. I knew he did because he kept running back to the attendant and she was hugging him. I had a great feeling about this boarding spa and would highly recommend them. 













No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-69773586-1